Felix Morrow's book, written in the white heat of the struggle, remains a Marxist classic on the Spanish Civil war. It is one of the clearest accounts produced of the movement of the Spanish masses, describing the events in Catalonia and the role of all those involved. This book contains the text of Revolution and counter-revolution together with the earlier Civil war in Spain and Ted Grant's 1973 article which provides an overview of the Spanish revolution. This book provides an excellent companion to the writings of Leon Trotsky on this question and deserves to be studied by all class-conscious activists.
Source: New Park Publications Limited.
First Published: 1938.
Wellred version: Formatting, spelling and footnotes reworked. Based on a comparison of material from the Marxists’ Internet Archive and the 2012 Wellred print edition.
Table of Contents
Revolution and Counter-Revolution in Spain
- Foreword by Ted Grant
- 1. Why the Fascists Revolted
- 2. The Bourgeois ‘Allies’ in the Peoples Front
- 3. The Revolution of July 19
- 4. Towards a Coalition with the Bourgeoisie
- 5. The Politics of the Spanish Working Class
- 6. The Programme of the Caballero Coalition Government
- 7. The Programme of the Catalan Government
- 8. Revival of the Bourgeois State: September 1936-April 1931
- 9. The Counter-Revolution and the Masses
- 10. The May Days: Barricades in Barcelona
- 11. The Dismissal of Largo Caballero
- 12. ‘El Gobierno de la Victoria’
- 13. The Conquest of Catalonia
- 14. The Conquest of Aragon
- 15. The Military Struggle under Giral, and Caballero
- 16. The Military Struggle under Negrin-Prieto
- 17. Only Two Roads
The Civil War in Spain
- 1. The Birth of The Republic – 1931
- 2. The Tasks of the Bourgeois-democratic Revolution
- 3. The Coalition Government and the Return of Reaction, 1931-1933
- 4. The Fight Against Fascism: November 1933 to February 1936
- 5. The People’s Front Government and its Supporters: February 20 to July 17, 1936
- 6. The Masses Struggle Against Fascism Despite the People’s Front: Feb. 16 to July 16, 1936
- 7. Counter-revolution and Dual Power
Available from Wellred in paper copy and as an ebook.